Hadoop, there it is. Okay, that was really cheesy. Sorry about that. But you know what’s not cheesy? Data. If you love data—like, really, really love data—then we want to hear from you. As WebPT’s Data Developer, you’ll work with the data services team in beautiful Denver, Colorado, to develop and optimize data processing for our backend data environment. You’ll also assist in the initial administration of our Hadoop environment. (See, we really were going somewhere with that introduction—beyond a lame attempt at a ’90s music pun.)
At WebPT, we hire the most talented people for our teams, and then give them the freedom to do their jobs. Here, we work hard—but we have lots of fun doing it. So, if you like a cool, collaborative, and challenging work environment, you’ll fit right in. Throw business casual to the wind. We want casual-casual. Rock flip-flops and jeans. We don’t care as long as you do good work and have a great time.
- Build and manage the daily ETL processes.
- Optimize big data applications and processes.
- Be part of an occasional 24/7 on-call rotation—and be willing to perform occasional weekend work.
- Coordinate and perform Hadoop administration tasks.
- Develop applications in Java, Scala, and Python.
- Be flexible. This role is ever-evolving—just like WebPT—so while you don’t need to be Cirque du Soleil flexible, we may occasionally ask you to do a few cartwheels, or at least try some things outside of your wheelhouse.
Abilities and Knowledge
- Rock the mic like a vandal—not just in karaoke, but in all forms of communication (i.e., communicate effectively over the phone and via email).
- Have an agile mind and a mind for Agile; we want someone who lives and breathes the Agile software development methodology.
- Understand when to pass the ball. We’re looking for team players here. Extra points if you’ve played on an Agile team before.
- Be organized, ahead of schedule, communicative, and accountable—in short, own your role entirely, while being open to critiques, suggestions, and new ideas.
- Know how to roll up your sleeves. We have a lot of brass tacks here, and we like to get down to ’em.
- Be hip to industry trends and best practices.
- Believe in testing first, coding later, and managing data, not the engine.
- Be creative, conceptual, and imaginative.
- Know how to create rock-solid work under deadline and within budget.
- Be cool under pressure. Things can get pretty hectic at times, so we want to make sure you keep calm and carry on through even the most stressful of circumstances.
- Talk nerdy to me—er, all of us. Know your stuff—including development concepts and source control systems such as Git—and talk about it confidently, accurately, and honestly.
- Juggle many complex projects, all with strict deadlines, simultaneously. Bonus points if you can actually juggle like a real circus performer.
- Jibe with our company culture, which is all about energy, integrity, positivity, a hunger for knowledge, and a passion for data development. Bring all that and a bag of chips. Seriously, we love chips.
Education and Experience
- Experience with Hadoop as well as Pig and/or Hive
- Experience with Java and/or Python
- Experience working with—and parsing—JSON and XML
Additional Aspects of the job
WebPT will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will not be exposed to weather conditions, and the noise level is usually moderate.
WebPT will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally need to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; or taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities, including close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.