Senior Software Engineer
Join the CallRail Team
Until recently call tracking was only available through cumbersome, expensive platforms. CallRail democratized the industry by making simple, practical tools available and affordable for businesses of all sizes. Our platform helps businesses understand which of their marketing campaigns are driving phone calls, how those calls are handled once received, and how those leads convert.
The company is stable and profitable, and has been since the beginning. We love all our customers and go to extreme lengths to keep them happy, but no one customer comprises an exceptional proportion of revenue. As such, we’re free to develop the platform deliberately and to benefit all our customers rather than to meet the demands and timelines of a select few.
Our product team is small but impactful: just 8 people total between engineering and UX/design support a paying customer base of over 18,000 businesses.
In December 2014, after four years of bootstrapped growth, we raised a small round of $1.9M to provide working capital for growth and to bring on a team of trusted advisors with deep experience in the telecom and online marketing industries.
CallRail is the startup we always wanted to work at, and we intend to keep it that way.
What We Believe
- Life is more than work. Though we work hard, we value balance. Like you, we expect to spend our evenings and weekends with friends and family.
- Results matter. Work isn’t where you are or how long you spent; it’s what you accomplish. If you work best at home, at a coffee shop, or at the beach — we’re on board with that.
- Be entrepreneurial at heart. You should see the big picture and understand the problems we solve. You’ll drive your own projects, so you’ll need to be independent and self-motivated.
- Optimize for happiness. We believe that happy people are the most effective people. We take pride in our products, and believe that a fulfilling career contributes to a happy life.
We are looking for candidates who live and breathe web applications. You’re entrepreneurial at heart, and see your role as much more involved than simply implementing a feature from a spec. You can take an idea, break down the technical complexities, then work with the team to build a product that customers love. You know how to build modular and testable code that ensures we can continue to iterate quickly, but you also know how to cut scope and find the simplest possible thing that works when appropriate.
CallRail is a team of confident self-starters, and that’s the kind of people with whom you work best. We don’t have dedicated product managers – instead those who care most about a particular feature collaborate to define and scope the enhancement. That only works if we’ve got a wide breadth of skills, and you should bring some passion to add: an eye for UX and solving customer pain points, experience refactoring back-ends for scalability, or an obsession with reliability and uptime. We’ll back you up with a leadership team that has deep product and industry knowledge, a UX and design team that crafts experiences our competititors can’t match, and a technical team that’s built successful products before.
What We Work On
- An analytics front-end that helps both digital and offline marketers understand which campaigns are driving calls
- A real-time interface that shows extensive details of who’s calling before your phone even starts to ring
- A fault-tolerant call routing engine that’s designed for serious uptime
- A session and page view tracking system that monitors our customers’ customers as they browse their websites
- An integration framework that makes data from the phone-based offline world available in online CRM and marketing automation systems
- Automated call scoring using speech recognition and machine classifiers
- A cloud-based production environment running on fast, secure single-tenant hardware
How We Work
The list below is buzzword bingo for the tools we use every day. You should enjoy working with these tools, and have the experience to prove it. As we grow, we’ll be looking to add to our toolchest, and we’d love to hear your thoughts on how we can solve some of our bigger looming challenges.
- Ruby, Rails, AngularJS, Sidekiq, Devise, Pusher, Postgres, Redis
- Twilio, Plivo, WebRTC
- RSpec, SemaphoreCI
- NewRelic, Honeybadger, Pingdom
- Capistrano, Unicorn, Monit
- GitHub, Slack, Basecamp
- Heath, dental and vision
- Competitive salary and company ownership
- Results-only environment
- Untracked vacation policy
- Top-shelf Apple hardware
- Ergonomic sit-stand workstations
- Fully stocked kitchen and regular team lunches
- Fun, talented coworkers with a wide variety of interests
How to Apply
Interested? We’d love to talk to you! Send an email to Elliott Wood, our VP of Engineering, at email@example.com with “Software Engineer” in the subject line. (You can put other things there, just make sure you include that!) Include anything you’d like in your email, but we’re particularly interested in learning about your work experience, how you heard about CallRail, and why you think you’d be a good fit for our team. If you send a resume, please attach it in PDF format or link to a profile on StackOverflow Careers or LinkedIn. If you have any work samples you can share, we’d love to see your Github profile too.
Sorry, we aren’t interested in working with recruiters or third-party candidates at this time.