Are your Agile senses tingling? As a Senior Scrum Master, you’ll use your own superpowers to do more than swing from skyscraper to skyscraper on a silk-thin spider web. You’ll use your passion and experience to guide and influence your own super team to directly impact the success of WebPT’s product development. While you don’t have to have superhuman strength to rock this role, you do have to have a passion for all things Agile, and do everything a spider—er, Scrum Master—can to get the job done.
At WebPT, we like to hire the most talented people for our teams, and then give them the freedom to do their jobs. Here, we work hard—but we have lots of fun doing it. Are you our friendly neighborhood Senior Scrum Master?
- Facilitate all elements of Scrum team ceremonies, including sprint planning, backlog refinement with the Product Owner, daily standups, and retrospectives.
- Assist Product Owners and Scrum/Kanban teams (co-located and distributed) with activities such as Story Mapping to define Minimal Marketable Features (MMFs) for new initiatives.
- Drive continuous improvement of Agile practices through collaboration, transparency, and open communication with team members and other departments.
- Conduct effective, creative, and engaging retrospectives to identify opportunities for improvement and guide the team to reach their improvement goals.
- Assess teams’ Scrum maturity levels while coaching and guiding them to reach higher levels.
- Empower your teams to get stuff done and self-organize their efforts (that includes removing any blockers that stand in their way).
- Find inefficiencies in your team’s workflow and help them overcome these obstacles to reach their full potential.
- Guide teams on how to use Scrum and Kanban principles and values.
- Identify project issues and risks, and escalate or voice any concerns in a timely manner.
- Have tough conversations and keep a level head to help teams overcome challenges and conflict.
- Support the Product Owner and provide guidance on backlog maintenance.
- Develop and communicate metrics that convey project status and health to the project team and management.
- Provide relevant information radiators for Scrum and Kanban teams, which may include burndown and burnup charts, velocity, work item cycle time, and throughput.
Abilities and Knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to coach Scrum or Kanban teams to higher levels of efficiency and maturity.
- Possess a true desire to continuously reflect on team performance and to drive improvement initiatives.
- Be a natural-born leader—one who inspires his or her team, embraces every moment as a teaching (or learning) opportunity, and provides constructive coaching and meaningful challenges.
- Rock the mic like a vandal—not just in karaoke, but in all forms of communication (i.e., communicate effectively over the phone and via email).
- Understand when to pass the ball. We’re looking for team players here.
- Be a self-starter and be self-motivated. Exude confidence. Know your stuff and talk about it accurately and honestly.
- Remain cool under pressure. Things can get pretty hectic at times, so we want to make sure you keep calm and carry on through even the most stressful of circumstances.
- Talk nerdy to me—er, all of us. Know your stuff and talk about it confidently, accurately, and honestly.
- Juggle many complex tasks, all with a sense of urgency, simultaneously and accurately. Major props if you can actually juggle like a real circus performer.
- Possess strong situational awareness and conflict resolution skills.
- Be organized, ahead of schedule, communicative, and accountable—in short, own your role entirely, while being open to critiques, suggestions, and new ideas.
- Know how to roll up your sleeves. We have a lot of brass tacks here, and we like to get down to ’em.
- Jibe with our culture. We’re talkin’ energy, integrity, positivity, a hunger for knowledge, and a passion for sharing it. Bring all that and a bag of chips. Seriously, we love chips.
Education and Experience
- At least four years of hands-on Scrum Master experience with multiple teams practicing Scrum and/or Kanban in co-located and distributed team environments
- Knowledge and/or experience with Test Driven Development, Test Automation, and Continuous Integration
- Strong understanding of relevant metrics to provide a Scrum or Kanban team
- Experience with VersionOne
- Technical leadership experience
- Knowledge and experience in the medical or EMR industry
WebPT will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will not be exposed to weather conditions, and the noise level is usually moderate.
WebPT will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally need to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; or taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities, including close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.