WebPT is a cloud-based electronic medical record (EMR) software—which means technology is our lifeblood. After all, we’re on the technological forefront of our industry; our membership base of forward-thinking physical therapists, occupational therapists, and speech-language pathologists depend on us to help them achieve greatness in clinical practice every single day. But to keep things running smoothly, all of our infrastructure has to be in tip-top condition 24 hours a day, seven days a week. That’s where you come in. As WebPT’s MySQL Database Administrator, you’ll be responsible for administering all of WebPT’s MySQL and SQL server databases. You also will play a critical role on our data services team, as you’ll ensure healthy uptime in all of our databases. Additionally, you’ll help optimize queries and database objects as well as handle some database development projects.
At WebPT, we hire the most talented people for our teams, and then give them the freedom to do their jobs. Here, we work hard—but we have lots of fun doing it. So, if you like a cool, collaborative, and challenging work environment, you’ll fit right in.
As the leader in our market and one of the fastest-growing companies in the country, we’ve already done a lot. But we’re nowhere near done. Our plans just keep getting grander, and we can’t achieve greatness without you.
- Build, manage, and maintain MySQL 5.6 server.
- Manage and maintain user and group assignments within MySQL server.
- Make sure everything’s always up to code (i.e., review and deploy database code).
- Keep a pulse on MySQL server performance and operations.
- Become our database Mr. or Ms. Fix-It—that is, troubleshoot and repair any problems that pop up.
- Back, back, back it up: Perform backup and recovery testing.
- Wield a can of database Raid. We like our SQL de-bugged and optimized.
- Maintain and improve master-slave and master-master replication.
- Handle MySQL query and table optimization
- Lend a helping hand for off-hours support, when necessary.
- Throw business casual to the wind. We want casual-casual. Rock flip flops and jeans. We don’t care as long as you do good work and enjoy yourself.
- Get ready to fly by the seat of your pants. This role is ever-evolving—just like WebPT—so while you don’t need to be Cirque du Soleil flexible, we may occasionally ask you to do a few cartwheels, or at least try some things outside of your wheelhouse.
Abilities and Knowledge
- Manage and configure database servers like a boss. We’re talkin’ minimal downtime and supervision.
- Know MySQL through and through. We need a practiced pro at data replication, integration, and clustering
- Effectively collaborate with development and QA teams—both onsite and off.
- Be organized, ahead of schedule, communicative, and accountable—in short, own your role entirely, while being open to critiques, suggestions, and new ideas.
- Be highly motivated. You’ve got to self-navigate your way through a lot of ambiguity.
- Talk nerdy to me—er, all of us. You’ll be tackling some of our toughest problems, so you need to know your stuff and talk about it confidently, accurately, and honestly.
- Rock the mic like a vandal—not just in karaoke, but in all forms of communication (i.e., communicate effectively).
- Know how to roll up your sleeves. We have a lot of brass tacks here, and we like to get down to ’em.
- Jibe with our company culture. We’re talking energy, integrity, positivity, a hunger for knowledge, and a passion for defect management and reporting. Bring all that and a bag of chips. Seriously, though, we love chips.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in information science, engineering, or a closely related discipline
Experience working in Linux and Microsoft operating system environments
At least five years of experience in MySQL replication/clustering
Experience working in multi-data center MySQL replication
Experience with Microsoft SQL server
Experience with NoSQL databases
Experience working in a cloud environment (AWS experience is a major plus)
WebPT will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will not be exposed to weather conditions, and the noise level is usually moderate.
WebPT will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally need to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; or taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities, including close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.